Give this super tasty, green soup a go this Winter. It’s packed full of goodness and is great for toddlers, children and adults. Perfect served with a cheese sandwich!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- A few good handfuls of frozen peas
- 2 x reduced sodium vegetable stock cubes
- Around 60g grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper to taste
If you want to make the ‘eyeballs’ for the Halloween Witches Brew then you will also need a babybel (or something similar) and some poppy seeds.
- Dissolve your stock cubes in a 200ml of boiling water and set aside.
- Finely dice your onion and heat your oil in a large, heavy base pan that has a lid.
- Add your onions to the pan over a low/medium heat and pop on the lid to sweat off the onions. Keep a close eye on this as you don’t want the onions to brown as it will cause a bitter taste.
- Once the onions are nice and soft, roughly chop your broccoli and cauliflower and add to pan.
- Pour in your stock and then top up with boiling water until the vegetables are just sticking out of the top by a few millimetres. We want a nice thick soup so it’s easy for your little one to scoop.
- Bring to simmer, cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until veg is nice and soft. Add your frozen peas and cook for a couple more minutes.
- You can now blend your soup with a stick blender until nice an smooth. Stir in your parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste and serve!
- If you want to serve for Halloween, you can make some little eyeballs for ontop with cheese. I used the end of a reusable straw to cut out little circles and popped a poppy seed in the centre.