This quick Mushroom Orzo Pasta is perfect for a yummy, filling meal when you have a long list of other things to do. Serve alone or with some meatballs! (or meat free meatballs like we have).
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large white onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 180g sliced mushrooms (I used white and chestnut mushrooms)
- 250g Orzo
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- Handful of grated cheddar or parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a large ovenproof pot, heat your oil over a low-medium heat and add the onions. Cook until they start to soften a little but be careful to not let them catch as this can cause a bitter flavor.
- Push the onions over to one side of the pot and add your crushed garlic to the empty part of the pot. Cook your garlic until fragrant being sure to keep moving so it does not burn. Combine with onions.
- Add your mushrooms to the onion and garlic mix and cook until they start to soften slightly. Tip in Orzo and combine with other ingredients.
- Add your vegetable stock all in one go and bring to simmer. Place the lid on your pot and transfer to the oven.
- Check after 30 minutes. If the orzo has not soaked up all of the liquid yet, stir and pop back into oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Once all liquid has been absorbed add a couple of handfuls of cheddar cheese one one handful of parmesan cheese. This creates a lovely creamy texture…perfect for the cold weather! Add black pepper to taste.
If you like, you could serve this with some meatballs on top or use meat free meatballs like we have. ENJOY!
The EasyMat MiniMax, portable open baby suction tray. View our EasyMat MiniMax range here.
Click here to see more EasyTots family and baby led weaning friendly Recipes.